Tableau Interview Questions for Freshers and Experienced
1). WHAT DOES TABLEAU DO?
Ans: Our goal is to help people see and understand data. Our software products put the power of data into the hands of everyday people, allowing a broad population of business users to engage with their data, ask questions, solve problems and create value
2). What is Tableau Public?
Ans: Tableau Public is a free service that lets anyone publish interactive data to the web. Once on the web, anyone can interact with the data, download it, or create their own visualizations of it. No programming skills are required. Be sure to look at the gallery to see some of the things people have been doing with it.
3).What is data modeling?
Ans: Data modeling is the analysis of data objects that are used in a business or other context and the identification of the relationships among these data objects. Data modeling is a first step in doing object-oriented programming
4). What is your daily work process in tableau?
Ans: I think we all work on different projects using Tableau, so the work begins from understanding the requirement getting the required data, storyboarding then creating visualizations in the tableau and then presenting it to the client for review.
5).What is the parameter in Tableau? And how it works.?
Ans: Parameters are dynamic values that can replace constant values in calculations and can serve as filters
6). How does Tableau perform with huge datasets?
Ans: Tableau Performance is based on Data source performance. If data source takes more time to execute a query then Tableau must wait up to that time
7). How will you publish and schedule workbook in tableau server?
Ans: First create a schedule for particular time and then create the extract for the data source and publish the workbook for the server. Before you publish, there is an option called Scheduling and Authentication, click on that and select the schedule from the drop-downn which is created and publish. Also publish data source and assign the schedule. This schedule will automatically run for the assigned time and the workbook is refreshed.
8). How to rectify SQL Performance for developed Dashboards
Ans: After creation of Dashboards if we get problem from sql side that means Custom Sql ….How to Rectify the sql performance from custom sql
9). Define the names for parameters, filters etc
Ans: Parameters are dynamic values that can replace constant values in calculations and can serve as filters.Filters are used to restrict the data based on the condition u have mentioned in the filters shelf.
10). How to view sql which is generated by Tableau Desktop?
Ans: The Tableau Desktop Log files are located in C:\Users\\My Documents\My Tableau Repository. If you have a live connection to the data source, check the log.txt and tabprotosrv.txt files. If you are using an extract, check the tdeserver.txt file. The tabprotosrv.txt file often shows detailed information about queries.
11). What is page shelf?
Ans: page shelf is power full part of tableau That you can use to controle the display of output as well as printed results of output.
12). What are the major differences between tableau version 7.0 and tableau version 8.0?
Ans: • New visualizations are introduced like treemap, bubble chart and box and whisker plot
• We can copy worksheet directly from one workbook to another workbook
•Introduced R script
13). How to create filled maps?
Ans: Step 1: Build a Map View Double-click a geographic fields such as State, Area Code, Zip Code, etc.
Step 2: Select the Fille Map Mark Type The Automatic mark type will show this type of view as circles over a map. On the Marks card, select Filled Map to color the geographic areas.
Step 3: Drag a Field to the Color Shelf Define how the locations are colored by dragging another field to the Color shelf.
14). Is Parameter have it’s dropdown list?
Ans: Yes it may have its own drop down list, the entries which you make in the Parameter while creating it can be viewed as Dropdown list.
Data Pane Questions
15). What type of data sources tableau can connect?
16). Does tableau has capabilities of connecting Big Data sources like Hadoop ?
17). What type of joins can be created between excel sheets ?
18). Can I write custom SQL to create a single connection that union data from two excel sheets ?
19). Does tableau allow creating calculated field from data pane directly ?
20). what’s the use of meta data option in tableau data pane ?
21). How to change data type of a field from data pane ?
22). What the difference between live and extract ?
23). What’s the extract filter ?
24). what’s the need of creating a data extract ?
25). what’s the in memory data analysis ?
26). whats the difference between .tds and .tdsx file ?
27). Can you describe dimensions and measures create in tableau ?
28) . Whats the difference between extract filter and data sources filter ?
29). How does Assume referential integrity work?
30). What’s the use of edit aliases options ?
31). Tell a scenario how to use data source option “publish to server”?
32). Whats the use of saved to data source option ?
Dimensions and Measures Questions
33). Can we use dimension as measure and do data aggregation using aggregation functions ?
34). Whats the use of transform option (Split and Custom Split)?
35).How many type of default properties we can set for a dimension and how default properties are going to work?
36). Whats the use of replace reference option ?
37). Whats the use of descrive property of a dimension?
38). How to convert a measure into dimension ?
39). Describe groups with a suitable scenario and also tell whats the limitation a group is having?
40). Can you tell process of creating a set ? and a suitable scenario to use a set?
41). How to set default color for dimension values ? The purpose is wherever you use dimension it should show same color in all the charts.
42). Can you describe the geographical fields?
43) Describe row and column shelf?
44) Describe filter and page by shelf?
45) Whats use of marks card ?
46) Whats the use of show me card?
47) Worksheet actions how to use it describe it by taking and example?
48). Whats the use of check box options shown on tooltip window “Include Command Buttons”?
49) How to use sheet caption?
50) Whats the use for show summary window shown for a worksheet?
51) How to use describe sheet option ?
52) what’s going to happen if I click a bar chart duplicate as crosstab?
53) Whats the difference between auto update filters and worksheet?
54) What do you understand by the word dashboard?
55) What is dashboard in tableau?
56) Describe the tabs Dashboard and Layout?
57) What is the use of Device Preview Tab?
58) What are all objects that we can use for designing a dashboard in tableau?
59) What are differences between floating and tiled?
60) What’s is a container ? Please describe horizontal and vertical containers?
61) name all three dashboard actions and tell the functioning of each?
62)Name the file extensions in Tableau.
Ans)There are a number of file types and extensions in Tableau :
Tableau Workbook (.twb).
Tableau Packaged Workbook (.twbx).
Tableau Datasource (.tds).
Tableau Packaged Datasource (.tdsx).
Tableau Data extract (.tde).
Tableau Bookmark (.tdm).
Tableau Map Source (.tms).
Tableau Preferences (.tps)
Top 50 Questions Frequently asked in Tableau Interviews For Freshers and Experienced
1. What is Tableau Server?
2. What is the difference between tableau server and tableau online?
3. How to publish a workbook to a tableau server?
4. Where do you publish a workbook to the tableau server? Or what is a project in tableau server?
5. What are all the components available in tableau server? (For e.g. Site, groups, projects, users, workbooks, data sources, scheduling, permissions, performance tuning, monitoring) Try to understand each of these
6. How do you give permissions to a workbook to a user?
7. How many levels of securities in tableau server?
8. What are all the different roles of permission in tableau server?
9. How do you take back up from a tableau server?
10. What are the different server processes in tableau?
11. How the tableau permissions or security works from the time the user logged in? Or what is the order of execution of different securities in the backend?
12. What if the server goes down or not working suddenly? What is the first step you will take?
13. How can we manage the alerts when the server went down?
14. Where the server will be installed? What is the basic requirement or configuration for installing a server?
15. Have you ever done the installation process for a server? If yes, How?
16. Let us consider I have given editor permission to a project for a user where they can be able to edit, publish, save and download. Now one workbook from that project has been shared with that user and the user is not able to view any data? How can you handle this situation?
17. Have you ever done ad-hoc reporting in tableau? How it can be achieved?
18. Is it possible to do development in tableau?
19. What edit option for a workbook in tableau server does?
20. What is the difference between doing development on the server and in desktop?
21. Can we publish data sources to tableau?
22. Let us consider I have one workbook saved on my local machine with a live connection to an excel (saved locally). And we are publishing the workbook to the server. Now consider we are changing the data in the excel sheet (in local machine) and saving it. The workbook has been refreshed and remember it is on the live connection with the excel sheet.
The question is once the published workbook is refreshed will the changes done in the excel be reflected in that workbook? If yes/no, How and why?
23. Can performance monitoring possible on the server? How?
24. Have you ever faced timeout error? How can you handle?
25. How do you schedule an extract in tableau?
26. How do you schedule a normal workbook on the live connection in tableau?
27. How do you automate reports using tableau?
28. What are the platforms Tableau server can run on?
29. Is it possible to connect to different instances/Site from the same server as different data sources? For eg: one data source needs to be connected to site A of XYZ server and one more data source needs to be connected to site B of XYZ server in the same workbook. Is that possible?
30. Is it possible to change user authentication within one single installation?
31. How to handle giving permissions to the multiple users?
32. What are the new features in Tableau Server 10? Have you used any of the updated features?
33. What are the challenges you have faced in tableau server?
34. Have you ever embed tableau URL with any other applications or process?
35. Explain Tableau Server Architecture?
36. Consider a published workbook URL is given to the user. Explain me the architecture and flow what will happen in the backend from the time the User start clicking on the given link
37. Have you ever used TABADMIN? If yes, Make sure you know the basic commands at least and the syntax.
38. Have you ever done any migration in tableau (for eg: Moving from DEV server to PRODUCTION server)? If yes, How?
39. Will the user filters/permissions given at the desktop level affect the permissions at the site level?
40. How to create empty extracts in tableau? What is the use of it?
41. What is the difference between a full refresh and incremental refresh in tableau?
42. Is the version control possible in tableau server?
43. How do you achieve row level security?
44. What is the primary and secondary node in tableau server? Have you ever worked on it?
45. How to create a backup in tableau server?
46. What are subscriptions in tableau? What it does?
47. Have you ever used the Tableau mobile app? How do you interact with the content of published workbook in tableau mobile?
48. Have you ever used any API’s in tableau? What is meant by API?
49. How to upgrade the tableau server?
50. Where to find the tableau server log files? Have you ever analyzed it?
Top 50 interview questions for Tableau Experienced interview Questions
1. What do you think about Tableau compared to other tools?
2. What is Data Visualization?
3. Is tableau a reporting tool or data visualization tool?
4. What are all the different products of tableau?
5. What are the versions of Tableau you have worked so far? (whenever you have worked in multiple version you should be very sure about the major updates of the versions)
6. What are all the different file versions of Tableau?
7. Have you ever worked in Tableau public? If yes, what is the purpose of it and what have you built in Tableau Public?
8. What is Tableau Online and Tableau Server and the difference?
9. What is the major update in Tableau 9x over 8x or Tableau 10x over 9x?
10. Among the update brought in the recent version what you found interesting and what have used so far?
11. What is Tableau bookmark and how it differs from the Tableau workbook (.twb or .twbx)
12. Consider opening a bookmark file and a Tableau workbook. Are they one and the same? If yes, then what is the use of bookmarks?
13. Are you aware of Gartner magic quadrant for BI platform? If yes, who are all the leaders in 2016?
14. What is the major challenge in the project you have found so far?
15. what is the major challenge in tableau you have found so far?
16. What are the most complex reports you have built? (when you are answering this question get hands-on on that report. They might ask you to do)
17. What are all the difficulties you faced with larger data sets?
Let's get into more technical :)
18. What is the difference between sets and groups? (often asked in interview)
19. when do you use sets and when do you use groups? (explain a scenario)
20. what are combined fields in the tableau and when it will be useful?
21. Can you use sets/groups in a filter? if yes, why and how? If no, why?
22. Can you use sets/groups/parameters in calculated fields? if yes, why and how? If no, why?
23. What is the difference between parameters and filters?
24. When do you use parameters? (Probably you should be able to explain a scenario)
25. What are the limitations of parameters?
26. Can we do multi-select in parameters?
27. Can same parameters be used across multiple data sources?
28. Can we include data from the fields in parameters instead of hard coding? How?
29. How to create Top N and Bottom N values in tableau? If you are explaining using sets they might ask is there any other way to do it?
30. How to pass database parameters?
31. How to use nested parameters and their pros and cons?
32. What is a calculated field?
33. How to achieve YOY values (For e.g. YOY sales or profit) in tableau? If your answer is using quick table calculation then they might expect for another way to do it (using calculated field)
34. Get an idea as how to calculate YTD, MTD, YOY, MOM, Previous year sales at a given period (especially using calculated field as there are lot of ways provided Tableau experts)
35. what is the Rank function in Tableau? (go through all the 5 rank functions in tableau-like Rank, Rank_dense, Rank_combined etc.,)
36. What is the index function in tableau and the difference between rank and index functions?
37. There are some scenarios like they may ask what is the result of all 5 rank functions given a number say (1,3,4,3)
38. what is Lookup function and have you used it so far? how and when?
39. How do you manage to use filters when you are using lookups? (questions might be in different forms)
40. What is a dimension and a measure in tableau?
41. How tableau automatically identifies a dimension and a measure? what is the criteria?
42. Have you ever noticed that some dimension appearing as a measure in tableau? why?
43. What are the blue and green pills highlighted across dimensions and measures?
44. What is discrete and continuous in tableau?
45. How to change a field from discrete to continuous and what is the significance?
46. Is date (Full date) a discrete or continuous value?
47. How many columns by default tableau will accept in a report? If we want more is there any way to change it? (this question might be asked in different forms)
48. How to create a bin? what is the purpose?
49. what is aggregation and de-aggregation and the significance?
50. What is the maximum number of tables we can join in tableau?